Contact Us
Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport
Return to your home site

Menu

Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport

Nearby Towns

lifestyle

Another British Invasion Coming To Fairfield

The Redcoats are coming to Fairfield for a Declaration Celebration July 10.
The Redcoats are coming to Fairfield for a Declaration Celebration July 10. Photo Credit: Contributed photo

FAIRFIELD, Conn. — The Redcoats are coming back to Fairfield — only this time it’s all in fun.

In honor of the 240th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the Fairfield Museum and History Center will display an early version of the document from July 1 through 17 and host a Declaration Celebration July 10 on the historic Town Green.

"Fairfield was forged in the crucible of the American Revolution and the Fairfield Museum is especially honored to display this rare copy of the Declaration of Independence whose defining words continue to mold our great country," said Museum Executive Director Michael Jehle.

The document that will be on display is a print from a copperplate engraving that then-Secretary of State John Quincy Adams commissioned when he realized the original Declaration of Independence was deteriorating from frequent use.

Completed in 1823, it is considered the best representation of what the original looked like before the signatures began to fade. On loan from Seth Kaller, Inc., it’s one of six known copies printed on heavy paper with the first edition imprint on the top.

The exhibition, sponsored by Patriot Bank, will also include Thomas Jefferson’s copy of the journals of Congress in 1776, documents from Connecticut signers of the Declaration and other items that reflect upon its legacy.

The public is invited to celebrate Fairfield’s rich historical past at a free Declaration Celebration, which will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., July 10 on the Town Green.

The day will include crafts, games, a recreated British encampment and walking tours.

The encampment will simulate what Fairfield looked like when the British Redcoats invaded in 1779. Guests may visit with members of the 54th Connecticut Regiment of Foot, learning more about the equipment used during the invasion.

Walking tours explaining the Burning of Fairfield will take place every half-hour from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Guides will describe the town as it was on July 7 and 8, 1779 and explain the lead-up to and aftermath of those fateful days.

Visitors are invited to pack a picnic or enjoy delicacies from participating local food trucks on site.

Pre-registration is required for the walking tours. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students. Sign up here .

Check the Fairfield Museum website, Fairfieldhistory.org , for updated information on food trucks and more information about the exhibition at the museum, located at 370 Beach Road.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Fairfield Daily Voice!

Serves Fairfield & Southport

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.