FAIRFIELD, Conn. — Due to its great success, the inaugural season of the Fairfield Farmers Market has been extended through Sunday, Oct. 2.
The Fairfield Parks & Recreation Commission at its August meeting agreed to a requested four-week extension.
"The market has been very well received, and the feedback has been universally positive since the market opened in mid-June," said Mark Barnhart, Director of Community & Economic Development, who initially pitched the idea to the Parks & Recreation Commission. "Market Master Bill Auer and I wanted to take advantage of some of the great produce that is harvested locally during the late summer and early fall."
The market is held weekly on Sundays on Sherman Green in downtown Fairfield, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., rain or shine.
"The support to date from the public has been great," said Auer, owner of Firehouse Deli who also serves as the Market Master. "We are delighted to continue to operate the market for another month."
The market features the following farm vendors and producers:
- Beltane Farm, Lebanon - fresh and aged goat cheese; milk & yogurt
- Creative Shepherd Farm, Ava, N.Y. - cow & sheep milk cheese; eggs, milk
- George Hall Farm, Simsbury - organic produce
- LuLu's Southern Pies, Stamford - Southern chess pie; chocolate pecan pie; Key lime pie
- Simpaug Farms, Ridgefield - fresh vegetables, herbs, berries; eggs; jams & jellies
- The Local Catch, Charlestown, R.I. - fresh whole and filleted fish; scallops; smoked fish
- Whole G Bread, New Haven, - European breads & pastries
- Nature View Farm, Bridgewater, - milk; eggs; heirloom produce
- Jane's Good Food, Westport - pickles; seasonal small batch pickled vegetables & fruits
- Hot Chicks Local Eggs, Fairfield - backyard chicken eggs
- Riverside Baking Company, Fairfield - assorted baked goods
- Tasty Good Eats, Fairfield - gluten free baked goods
- Marwin Farms, New Hartford - chicken, duck, quail, rabbit, Berkshire pig
- Molly & Murphy Irish Horse & Dog Biscuits, Trumbull - all natural treats & products
- Oui Charcuterie, Woodbridge - salamis and cured meats
- Two Guys from Woodbridge, Woodbridge - lettuce, microgreens, edible flowers
- Pine Lake Mushrooms, Ivoryton - oyster, shitake, lion's mane, assorted mushrooms
- Jahmu, N. Kingstown, R.I. - turmeric ginger chai tea
- Kardamas Olive Oil, Stamford - olive oil from family groves in Greece
- Sugar Maple Farms, Lebonon - maple syrup & honey
- Gilded Vine Floral, Trumbull - summer flower bouquets
- Little River Farm, Fairfield - produce, berries, eggs
- Park City Honey, Bridgeport - 100 percent raw honey
"The farmers market has been a terrific addition to the downtown. Bill and his wife Maureen have done yeoman's work, and deserve all the credit for making this happen," said Barnhart.
For more information, please visit the website at www.fairfieldfarmersmarket.org .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.