FAIRFIELD, Conn. – The goal this year for the annual food drive at Our Lady of Assumption Church in Fairfield this weekend is to fill a whole POD to help fill the food pantries at two locations.
“The food is going to go to St. Steven’s Pantry at the Merton Center in Bridgeport and Operation Hope in Fairfield,” said Lara Linsenmeyer, director of the food drive.
And after doing a regular food drive, she said she wanted to do something different, which is where the “Pack the POD” came in.
“A few yeas ago we filled a van,” Linsenmeyer said. The idea of filling something bigger has stuck in her mind ever since, she said.
This year, the POD was donated to the food drive, so the church doesn’t have to pay for the rent. Church members and students will be on hand, volunteering their time to help with the collection and with filling the POD.
Only items such as canned vegetables, peanut butter, jelly, soup, tuna, boxed cereal, rice, pasta, powdered milk and other nonperishable will be accepted at the food drive.
The food drive will take place over two days, Saturday Feb 1, from noon to 5 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 2, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church on 545 Stratfield Road.
- 1 Christmas Eve Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 3 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 4 Fairfield Man Arrested On DUI, Narcotics Charges After Running Red Light
- 5 Two Bridgeport Men Plead Guilty To Robbery Spree In Fairfield