FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Greenfield Hill Congregational Church’s 79th Annual Dogwood Festival will offer a host of activities: from children’s games and face-painting, a heritage walking tour to live musical performances, artisans and savory food, all with the panoramic views of the colorful dogwood trees that surround the Fairfield neighborhood.
“Our 79th Dogwood Festival is a time-honored tradition that has had a strong evolution and continues to receive extensive community support,” said Greenfield Hill Congregational Church’s co-minister, Alida Ward. “We will be featuring long-time arts and crafts vendors, as well as several new artisans and craftspeople this year."
The Dogwood Festival's hours are:
- Friday, May 2, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 3, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, May 4, Noon to 5 p.m.
Proceeds from the Dogwood Festival go towards local, national and international charities. “We support ... Operation Hope, Children At Risk Fund, Janus House, Center for Women & Families, and Project Learn and many more through our mission board,” said David Rowe, co-minister of the Greenfield Hill Congregational Church. "The Dogwood Festival is a part of the fabric of the local community."
Tom Wambach, Dogwood Festival Committee Chair and longtime church member added, “The Dogwood Festival has, for 79 years, been a wonderful tradition within the Fairfield community. Our congregation pulls together to make it the success that it is every year. We work hard and have a lot of fun together. We couldn’t do this without all our dedicated volunteers.”
- The 5th annual Friday Luncheon celebrating spring from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Featuring presentations on planting, pruning and floral decorating. Tickets for $30 will be sold in advance at the church office. Walk-ins accommodated, space permitting.
- The sixth annual Saturday Night Party from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m. This year’s theme is Dig In & Kick Up Your Heels. Come dance to your favorite songs with a DJ. Dinner is catered by Bobby Q’s. Tickets sold in advance in the church office.
- Crafts for children ages 3 to teens, including ceramics, sand art, picture frames, flowerpots, and wooden toy decorating.
- Carnival games including mini golf, bean-bag and ring toss.
- Baseball radar speed pitching
- The Dogwood Dash 2-mile fun run starts behind the church with a Dogwood Mini Dash for kids ages 2 to 7 in the Memorial Garden behind the Len Morgan Youth Barn.
- Heritage walking tour through gardens and historic sites “On the Hill” surrounding the church.
- Live music performances throughout the weekend in the Sanctuary and at Blossom’s Café, including local favorites the Merwin Mountain Band and Bob & Dave.
An art show will feature the work local artists, and there will be a juried craft show. A churchwide tag sale will also be on the grounds along with the plant and garden boutique.
Food will be for sale at the Blossom Bakery and the Blossom Cafe.
The church is located at 1045 Old Academy Road, Fairfield. For more information, visit www.greenfieldhillchurch.com or call 203-259-5596.
- 1 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Keep An Eye On Your Purse; Fairfield Police Show How Easy It Is To Steal
- 3 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 4 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 5 Fairfield Man Arrested On DUI, Narcotics Charges After Running Red Light