FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Fairfield University will host U.S. Sen. Richard Blumenthal for an Opioid Prescribers Panel Discussion on “Best Practices for Prescribers —What’s Working Now?”
The panel discussion will be on Wednesday, Aug. 17 at 10 a.m. at the Dolan School of Business Dining Room.
The issue of opioid misuse in the state of Connecticut has been at the top of Blumenthal’s agenda. He has participated in nine roundtable discussions and has spoken to those struggling with opioid addiction, people who have lost loved ones, law enforcement officials, first responders, doctors, addiction specialists and elected officials on the challenges with and ideas for combating the prescription drug misuse and heroin epidemic crises.
Fairfield University’s Marion Peckham Egan School of Nursing and Health Studies, which is planning the panel discussion, recognizes that opioid misuse is a pressing public health crisis, and that it is critical that students receive education on current standards.
As part of academic nursing’s ongoing efforts to combat prescription drug and opioid misuse, Fairfield University has committed to educating its advanced practice registered nursing students on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain.
Fairfield has partnered with 190 American Association of Colleges of Nursing’s member schools with APRN programs, as part of the White House Champions of Change event on advancing prevention, treatment and recovery.
Appearing with Blumenthal on Aug. 17 are:
- Linda Mascolo, lead APRN at New Era Rehabilitation Center
- Gregory Fils, APRN YNHH, Pain Management Center
- Lynn Madden MPA, President and CEO, APT Foundation
- Dr. Bachaar Arnaout MD, Director of the Detoxification and Addiction Stabilization Service (DASS), Medical Director for the Psychosocial Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program (PRRTP), VA Connecticut Healthcare System
- Representatives from The Medical Society and the Department of Consumer Protection.
The Dolan School of Business Dining Room is located at Bellarmine and Coughlin Roads in Fairfield.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.