FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The snow was starting to taper off Friday morning, but the deep freeze was just settling in across Fairfield County, the National Weather Service said.
Snow was expected to continue falling until about 10 a.m. as the first storm of the New Year slammed the entire East Coast, closing schools and snarling roadways. Areas of blowing snow and flurries will continue until noon with below-zero wind chills hampering efforts to clear the snow. A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 1 p.m. in Fairfield County.
Final snow totals range 6 inches to 10 inches, with some locally higher amounts.
Cloudy conditions will prevail Friday, with a high near 12 degrees and wind chill values as low as -15. Northwest wind will be 14 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Another 1 to 2 inches of snow accumulation is possible.
Friday night will be mostly clear, with a low temperature of -5 degrees and a north wind of 5 to 7 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Saturday will be sunny and bright, but the temperature will hit a high of only about 20 degrees with wind chill values as low as -8. Light west wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
When the extreme cold hits, it's important to protect yourself. Here are some tips from the Connecticut Department of Public Health to help beat the frigid cold:
- Dress in layers. This helps keep you insulated and lets you take off or add more layers of clothing as needed. Wear many layers of loose-fitting clothing and stay dry.
- Cover your skin. When the wind chill brings the temperature well below zero, be sure to cover your skin. In extreme cold, skin exposed to the cold air can get frostbite in just a few minutes. If you have to go outside, you should wear a hat, scarf, sleeves that are snug at the wrist, mittens and water resistant coat and boots.
For more tips, check out this story in The Daily Voice.
- 1 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Keep An Eye On Your Purse; Fairfield Police Show How Easy It Is To Steal
- 3 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 4 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 5 Fairfield Man Arrested On DUI, Narcotics Charges After Running Red Light