FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- It's time to throw out that old Metro-North schedule. A new train schedule goes into effect starting Sunday, May 11, for riders along the New Haven Line in Fairfield County.
The new train schedule is shortening the time on the train for many Fairfield County commuters riding into Grand Central Terminal.
About 83 percent of AM peak New Haven Line customers traveling from in Connecticut will have a faster trip to Grand Central. Only 12 percent will have a slower trip with the remaining 5 percent seeing no change to their current commute times, Metro-North said.
This improvement is due, in part, to the completion of catenary wires and bridge replacement work between Southport and Bridgeport. For the first time since 2010, all four tracks are now available. Previously, only two of four tracks were available in this area as Connecticut Department of Transportation contractors replaced the overhead catenary wires and upgraded the four bridges that carry the tracks over local roads.
Other service changes will include:
- The current 6:10 a.m. train from New Haven to Stamford is extended to Grand Central, providing an additional express train from New Haven in the AM Peak.
- On the Danbury Branch, the first weekday train will once again operate as a through train, departing at 5:28 a.m. and giving a one-seat ride to Grand Central. The 4:29 p.m. train from Grand Central to Danbury will operate as a through train, with a 5:18 p.m. stop at Stamford. Ongoing work to improve the grade crossing protection system on the Danbury Branch will require the elimination of one mid-day round trip between South Norwalk and Danbury.
- Midday and weekend busing on the Danbury Branch will continue until further notice. Click here to see a special Danbury Branch schedule with the off-peak and weekend busing.
- 1 Police Charge Fairfield Man With Interfering With Officer, DUI After Crash
- 2 Fairfield Business Falls Victim To UI Scam; Police Expecting Similar Crimes
- 3 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 4 Fairfield Couple Opens Up New Cheese Shop In Greenwich
- 5 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield