FAIRFIELD, Conn. A group of Greenfield Hill residents managed to put out one house fire without professional assistance on Saturday night, but the Fairfield Fire Department still proved why you should call them first. Firefighters put out a chimney fire on a Congress Street home shortly after the homeowners put out a second blaze in a separate portion of the house themselves.
The first fire began when embers from a fireplace landed on the roof of a second floor porch, starting a small fire. The homeowners were able to douse the flames with buckets of water, but called firefighters just to be sure, according to Assistant Fire Chief George Gomola. When crews arrived, they found that the fire was out, but a second blaze had started near the chimney on the wood roof of the home.
All occupants were evacuated and Fairfield and Westport fire crews put out the flames and cleared out all smoke. Firefighters managed to stop the fire before it spread through the homes attic. No one was harmed in the incident.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.