FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Gov. Dannel P. Malloy declared a limited State of Emergency Thursday to help accelerate power restoration following widespread outages throughout the state that came as a result of Wednesday's storm.
Eversource and United Illuminating reported thousands of power outages throughout Fairfield County as a result of strong winds and heavy rain Wednesday night. UI expects to restore all remaining customers by midnight. Eversource estimated Thursday that it would take until late Friday night to restore power to the majority of customers.
To help deal with the outages, the utility companies have called in crews from other states to assist in restoration efforts.
"This declaration is necessary to allow utility crews from Canada to enter the United States and help with power restoration in this state," Malloy said. "I am committed to do everything in my authority to help the residents of the state who are still without power and this declaration will help that effort."
As of 5 p.m. Thursday, here are the power outage totals from Eversource for Fairfield County:
- Bethel: 628 customers out of 8,515, or 7 percent of the town
- Brookfield: 71 customers out of 8,047, or 0.88 percent of the town
- Danbury: 521 customers out of 36,260 or 1 percent of the city
- Darien: 220 customers out of 8,023, or 3 percent of the town
- Greenwich: 2,199 customers out of 27,995, or 8 percent of the town
- Monroe: 460 customers out of 7,926, or 6 percent of the town
- New Canaan: 656 customers out of 8,386, or 8 percent of the town
- New Fairfield: 1,021 customers out of 6,059, or 17 percent of the town
- Newtown: 622 customers out of 11,070, or 6 percent of the town
- Norwalk: 148 customers out of 30,477, or 0.49 percent of the city
- Redding: 253 customers out of 3,886, or 7 percent of the town
- Ridgefield: 879 customers out of 10,767, or 8 percent of the town
- Sherman: 126 customers out of 1,980, or 6 percent of the town
- Stamford: 330 customers out of 57,883, or 0.57 percent of the city
- Weston: 40 customers out of 3,835, or 1 percent of the town
- Westport: 67 customers out of 12,360, or 0.54 percent of the town
- Wilton: 250 customers out of 7,414, or 3 percent of the town
Here are the power outages from United Illuminating:
- Bridgeport: 4 outages affecting 11 customers
- Easton: 7 outages affecting 983 customers
- Fairfield: 31 outages affecting 2,242 customers
- Shelton: 4 outages affecting 58 customers
- Southport: 3 outages affecting 15 customers
- Stratford: 4 outages affecting 56 customers
- Trumbull: 9 outages affecting 106 customers
State emergency management officials will continue to work with the utility companies and local communities to help facilitate full power restoration.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.