RYE, N.Y. – State police have charged the driver involved in the fatal Friday crash on Interstate 95 with drunken driving, state police said.
Jose Ramirez, 24, was driving home to Norwalk, Conn., with two friends early Friday morning when he hit a New York State Thruway pickup truck parked on the shoulder near the entrance ramp from Interstate 287 to I-95 northbound. The truck rolled over, and the 2013 Honda Accord hit the concrete barrier that separates the ramp from the main road.
The front-seat passenger, Kelman Villa Santos, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene and the back-seat passenger, Emanuel Gonzalez, 22, suffered possibly life-threatening injuries and was taken to Stamford Hospital. Both are also from Norwalk.
Both Ramirez and the driver of the truck suffered non-life threatening injures and were taken to Westchester Medical Center, police said.
The Westchester Medical Examiner is expected to perform an autopsy on the victim Saturday.
The accident closed northbound lanes on I-95 for about six hours Friday.
- 1 Christmas Eve Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 3 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport
- 4 Fairfield Man Arrested On DUI, Narcotics Charges After Running Red Light
- 5 Two Bridgeport Men Plead Guilty To Robbery Spree In Fairfield