FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Here are some of the stories that topped the news in Fairfield this week:
- A Fairfield man, Salman Sumra, 29, was arrested with 88 bags of heroin and charged with possession of a narcotic, possession with intent to sell and possession with in 1,500 feet of a school.
- Fairfield resident, William Dong was charged in West Haven after walking on the University of New Haven campus with guns.
- Frank George Betar of Fairfield and owner of Betar Painting died at age of 41.
- Four people were killed and 63 injured after a Metro-North passenger train derailed in the Bronx near the Spuyten Duyvil station. The engineer reportedly was suspended without pay.
- A 21-year-old New Milford driver Alexander Scott Lee was arrested in connection with the accident that killed Weston cyclist Thomas Steinert-Threlkeld in October 2013.
- New Canaan’s Kelsey Durkin, a senior student at Washington and Lee University, was killed in a car accident in Virginia, which also injured several others.
Fairfield team, Flock of Cycles, was honored as top fund-raiser in CT Challenge 2013.