FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- Metro-North Railroad will run an extra New Haven Line train Friday, March 28, to accommodate UConn men’s basketball fans expected to travel to New York City for the NCAA tournament at Madison Square Garden.
The train will depart New Haven at 4:15 p.m., make a stop in Bridgeport at 4:36 p.m. and arrive in Grand Central Terminal at 6 p.m. In addition, extra cars will be assigned, as available, to several trains departing New Haven between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m., especially the 3:50 p.m. train from New Haven.
“Both UConn Huskies basketball teams are again taking the NCAA tournament by storm and gaining the nation’s attention. There will no doubt be a large contingent of Connecticut fans traveling to New York City to cheer for the men on Friday,” Gov. Dannel Malloy said. “It’s time to turn MSG into a home game for our Huskies.”
UConn games at the Garden usually draw big crowds from Fairfield and New Haven counties and many of the fans take Metro-North to the games.
After the game, Metro-North will add cars to New Haven-bound trains, where possible, on trains departing Grand Central between 9:30 p.m. and 11:22 p.m.
Fans are urged to buy round trip tickets at their boarding stations.
Ridership on Fridays is normally heavy, so UConn fans are urged to avoid taking the 4:21 p.m. departure from New Haven as it has no spare seating capacity and there is no way to add cars to that train.
- 1 Fairfield Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Fairfield, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 4 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Fairfield; Blizzard Warning Issued
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Fairfield With Snow, Ice Arriving