FAIRFIELD, Conn. – After a fire that started in the ovens ravaged Sammy’s Southport Pizzeria, friends and well-wishers are coming together Saturday to raise money in hopes of helping in the recovery effort.
When Southport resident Laura Whitmore heard about the April 14 early morning fire, she reached out to the owner and posted “love and prayers” on her Facebook page.
The response was immediate. “People just responded to that asking what they could do,” Whitmore said. And because she’s more of an action person, she said she started trying to figure out what they could do to help. Whitmore came up with the idea for a fundraiser and created the ‘Rally for Sammy’s’ event on the social media site.
“From there literally, Facebook just took it and ran with it,” Whitmore said.
As of Friday afternoon, the rally’s Facebook page has over 150 people signed up to attend to help raise money through a raffle and bake sale that will be held in the parking lot of the Chase Bank across the street from Sammy’s.
“I think people yearn for an opportunity to do good, to help other people,” Whitmore said.
In addition to the fundraising, there will be music, face painting and more for families to enjoy.
“I think it’s going to be really fun,” Whitmore said. All of the money raised will go to go straight to the restoration efforts of the Southport Pizzeria.
- 1 Fairfield Student Reported Missing At Rochester Institute Of Technology
- 2 Family Asks For Help In Finding Missing College Student, 21, From Fairfield
- 3 Police: Fairfield Student Found With 11 Grams Of Psychedelic Mushrooms
- 4 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation
- 5 Report Says 10 Arrests Were Made At Fairfield Schools In 2013