FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A Romanian man was found guilty in the death of former Sacred Heart University basketball player Chauncey Hardy in October 2011.
Ionut Adrian Tanasoaia was sentenced to seven years in prison in the death of Hardy, 23, who played for the Pioneers from 2006-10. Hardy played at Xavier in Middletown in high school.
Prosecutors said Tanasoaia punched Hardy on Oct. 9, 2011, at a club in Giurgiu, Romania, according to a report. Hardy was playing for a local team at the time. Hardy fell, suffered severe brain injuries and two neck fractures. He died after surgery at a hospital in Bucharest.
- 1 Police: Husband Beat Up 21-Year-Old Fairfield Man Hitting On His Wife
- 2 Boy Reports Suspicious Incident With Car In Fairfield Parking Lot
- 3 Woman Killed By Amtrak Train In Milford
- 4 Police: No Suspects In Bomb Threat Made At Seagrape, Inn At Fairfield Beach
- 5 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire