BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- A Sacred Heart student accused of making false rape allegations against two other students appeared in court in Bridgeport Friday and had her case continued to April, according to the Connecticut Post.
Nikki Yovino, 18, of South Setauket, N.Y. did not address the media or enter a plea, but her attorney later told reporters that she would be pleading not guilty, the Connecticut Post reported.
Yovino had told police back in October at St. Vincent's Medical Center that she had been sexually assaulted by the two males while at a house party on Lakeside Drive in Bridgeport, according to police. She said that it had taken place in the bathroom, police said.
Detectives conducted an investigation and uncovered information that contradicted Yovino's account, police said. After confronting her with information including witness accounts, text messages and cell phone video, Yovino admitted that she had made up the account and that she had had consensual sex with both males, police said.
She was charged with filing a false report and tampering with evidence.
The accused players were let go of the team, had their scholarships taken away and left the school months ago, according to the Connecticut Post. One of the students was readmitted to the university but with no scholarship and is not playing football, the Connecticut Post reported.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.