FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- Metro-North Railroad has removed the damaged rail cars from the scene of Friday’s train crash near Fairfield so crew can begin the rebuilding process.
The National Transportation Safety Board, which is running the investigation into the cause of the crash, authorized the removal and cleanup.
All 16 rail cars from the two trains had been cleared by Sunday afternoon, Metropolitan Transportation Authority said.
The video from Metro-North Railroad shows the extensive cleanup efforts that have already been completed.
Crews can now begin the process of restoring the track and the infrastructure damaged by the derailment and collision.
“Our crews will essentially be rebuilding 2,000 feet of damaged track, and overhead wires and signal system,” Metro-North Railroad President Howard Permut said over the weekend. “This amounts to the wholesale reconstruction of a two-track electrified railroad. It will take multiple days of around-the-clock work to do that, and then to inspect, test and requalify the newly rebuilt infrastructure.”
Until repairs are completed, there will be no Metro-North nor Amtrak service through that part of the train corridor near the Bridgeport-Fairfield border.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.