FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Dorothy Smitonick, a former Fairfield resident, died Nov. 12 in Mount Pleasant, S.C. She was 93.
Born in New York City, Smitonick was the daughter of Charles and Alice Wagner. She was a longtime area resident before moving to South Carolina to be with her family. She was married to John Smitonick, who predeceased her.
In the 1940s, Smitonick worked as a supervisor at the State Insurance Fund in New York City, where she met her husband. She was an accomplished crossword puzzle creator, having sold several to The New York Times.
Smitonick is survived by a daughter, Jean (Fred) Schubert, of Isle of Palms, S.C.; and two grandchildren. She was predeceased by two sisters, Helen Dawson and Ruth Pidgeon.
Visitation is from 5 to 7 p.m. Friday at Shaughnessey Banks Funeral Home in Fairfield Center. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Saturday at St. Pius X Church in Fairfield. Burial will follow at Assumption Cemetery in Westport.
- 1 Easton Couple Charged With Running Prescription Drug Ring In Fairfield
- 2 Jill Garber (Bonauito), 34, Of Fairfield
- 3 Threat Of Tick-Borne Diseases Serious, Growing In Fairfield, Report Says
- 4 Metro-North Trains Returns To Schedule As Grand Central Reopens
- 5 Surge Of Warm Weather Heads For Fairfield