WENHAM, Mass. - Elizabeth "Betty" Jane Smith of Wenham, formerly of Fairfield, Conn., Nov. 30. She was 78.
Smith grew up in Rochester, N.Y., where she graduated from Our Lady of Mercy High School and then St. Mary's Hospital Nursing School with a degree in nursing. She was a surgical nurse, a pediatric nurse and then became a public health nurse in New York. She moved to Fairfield after her marriage. She was a volunteer with children at schools and church and also developed and led interactive activity sessions with senior citizens.
Smith is survived by her husband, Alan; children, Linda Smith of Wenham, Paul Smith (Valerie) of Lee, N.H., and Monica Pessina (Craig) of West Newbury; and four grandchildren.
Family services are private.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Elizabeth Smith Nursing Scholarship Fund, TD Bank, 55 Dodge St., Beverly, MA 01915.
- 1 Two Teenage Girls Rescued From Water After Tubing Accident Off Fairfield
- 2 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight
- 3 Girls Hurt In Fairfield Tubing Accident Moved To Yale-New Haven Hospital
- 4 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 5 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods