FAIRFIELD, Conn. – John Francis Burke of Southport and formerly of Huntington, N.Y., died Nov. 11 at Carolton Convalescent Hospital in Fairfield. He was 89.
He was born in New York City to John and Mary Burke. He lived in Huntington for many years before moving to Connecticut to be closer to his grandchildren. Burke was married to Irene Mary Burke.
He served in the Navy during World War II and attended Manhattan College, where he co-captained a varsity basketball team. Burke was a retired New York City physical education teacher. He remained active in sports throughout his life and was a loyal New York Yankees and New York Giants fan.
Burke is survived by two children, Karen F. (Tommy) Monahan, of Southport, and Kevin T. (Matthew Chirichella) Burke, of New York City; and two grandchildren.
He was predeceased by his wife, a son, John F. Burke Jr.; his twin sister, Gloria; and three siblings, Margaret, Marion and Mickey.
Funeral services will be private. Spear-Miller Funeral Home in Fairfield is handling arrangements.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Wounded Warrior Project, 370 Seventh Ave., Suite 1802, New York, NY 10001.
- 1 Once In A Million Space Event Will Be Over Fairfield Skies On Sunday
- 2 Bridgeport House Painter Charged In Burglary Of Fairfield Home
- 3 Fairfield Will See Temperature Plunge On Sunday
- 4 Nor'easter To Impact Fairfield On Wednesday
- 5 Fairfield Police Chief MacNamara Injured After Squad Car Is Rear-Ended