FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Margaret M. Mellott of Fairfield died Saturday, Jan. 12, with her daughters by her side. She was 79.
Known affectionately as “Babe” to family and friends, Mellott was born in 1933 in Bridgeport to Anne E. and John J. Relihan Sr. She graduated from Sacred Heart School and the Academy of Our Lady of Mercy Laurelton Hall.
She married James J. Mellott in 1953 and enjoyed summers with family and friends at the shore in Old Saybrook. She was a 30-year board member of Parish Court Senior Housing in Fairfield and a longtime member of the Fairfield Women’s Club.
Mellott is survived by two daughters, Terese A. (Robert) Travis-Horvath, of Fairfield, and Denise M. (Charles) Barnes, of Milford; three grandsons; her lifelong friend, Lorraine Gosselin, of Fairfield; and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her husband; three brothers, Sen. John J. Relihan Jr., Thomas Relihan and Edward Relihan; and a sister, Anne Lang.
Visitation is from 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Shaughnessey Banks Funeral Home in Fairfield. A Mass of Christian burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Fairfield. Burial will follow at Lawncroft Cemetery in Fairfield.
- 1 Fairfield Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 2 Fairfield Mother Jailed In Case Of Missing 14-Year-Old Son From Norwalk
- 3 Bridgeport Woman Charged In Fight With Roommate In Fairfield
- 4 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 5 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Fairfield With Snow, Ice Arriving