OXFORD, Conn. - Sylvia Elizabeth Phelps of Oxford died Monday, June 2. She was 89.
Phelps was born July 27, 1924, in Bridgeport, the daughter of John T. and Sylvia DeVeau Riggs. She was a graduate of Central High School and a longtime resident of Stratford before moving to Oxford 34 years ago.
Before her retirement, she worked as a bookkeeper for the Sacred Book and Gift Shop of Fairfield. She was a member of the Ansonia Baptist Church and taught Ladies Bible Study at area churches for many years.
Phelps is survived by her daughter, Deborah Matthews (Timothy) of Oxford; and four grandchildren, two great-grandsons and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her parents; husband, Clarence E. Phelps; brothers, Grant E. Talbot, Milton Talbot and John T. Riggs; and son-in-law, Earl William "Bill" Bondeson.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, June 21, at 1:30 p.m. in the Beacon Hill Evangelical Free Church, 371 Old Zoar Road, Monroe, with the Revs. Richard Flashman and Terry Wilcox officiating. Interment will be private.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Bridgeport Rescue Mission, PO Box 9051, Bridgeport, CT 06601-9057.
For more information, visit www.wakeleememorial.com
- 1 Fairfield Student Reported Missing At Rochester Institute Of Technology
- 2 Details Emerge, But Questions Remain In Harrison Double Murder-Suicide
- 3 Former White Plains Officer Left Suicide Note At Harrison Murder Scene
- 4 Police: Fairfield Student Found With 11 Grams Of Psychedelic Mushrooms
- 5 Head Of Yoga Empire With Fairfield County Locations Faces Rape Allegation