OXFORD, Conn. - Sylvia Elizabeth Phelps of Oxford died Monday, June 2. She was 89.
Phelps was born July 27, 1924, in Bridgeport, the daughter of John T. and Sylvia DeVeau Riggs. She was a graduate of Central High School and a longtime resident of Stratford before moving to Oxford 34 years ago.
Before her retirement, she worked as a bookkeeper for the Sacred Book and Gift Shop of Fairfield. She was a member of the Ansonia Baptist Church and taught Ladies Bible Study at area churches for many years.
Phelps is survived by her daughter, Deborah Matthews (Timothy) of Oxford; and four grandchildren, two great-grandsons and several nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by her parents; husband, Clarence E. Phelps; brothers, Grant E. Talbot, Milton Talbot and John T. Riggs; and son-in-law, Earl William "Bill" Bondeson.
A memorial service will be held Saturday, June 21, at 1:30 p.m. in the Beacon Hill Evangelical Free Church, 371 Old Zoar Road, Monroe, with the Revs. Richard Flashman and Terry Wilcox officiating. Interment will be private.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Bridgeport Rescue Mission, PO Box 9051, Bridgeport, CT 06601-9057.
For more information, visit www.wakeleememorial.com
- 1 Red Flag Warning Issued For Fairfield County
- 2 Heavy Rain, Possible Thunderstorms Will Be Moving Into Fairfield
- 3 Man Gets 14 Years In Prison For Fairfield Jewelry Store Robbery, Kidnapping
- 4 Fairfield Native Takes Star Turn In 'Little Shop Of Horrors'
- 5 Teen Takes Responsibility For 2008 Death Of 13-Year-Old Wilton Bicyclist