FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The loss prevention agents at the Kohl's Department Store in Fairfield contacted police after they stopped a woman attempting to steal more than $200 in jewelry from the store Wednesday morning, police said.
According to the police report, Tesla Brito, 52, of Bridgeport, put $220 in jewelry into her purse and went to the register to pay for some items but not the ones in her purse.
Kohl's employees reported seeing Brito put the jewelry into her purse on the security video, they told police.
When officers read Brito her rights, a store employee translated for them, police said. She admitted to taking the jewelry but told police that "the devil made her do it," police said.
Brito was charged with sixth-degree larceny, warned to not return to Kohl's and released on a written promise to appear in court Jan. 29.
- 1 Boy Reports Suspicious Incident With Car In Fairfield Parking Lot
- 2 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 3 Fairfield Man Arrested After Strangling Girlfriend While She Was Driving
- 4 Fairfield's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 5 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So Fairfield Must Prepare