Candle Blamed For House Fire In Fairfield; Residents Escape Unharmed

  • Comments (1)
Photo Credit: Alissa Smith

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - All the occupants of a house on Cider Mill Lane were reported safe after firefighters put out a blaze on the second floor Tuesday night that was blamed on a candle, fire officials said.

A call at 6:11 p.m. reported smoke coming out of the second floor a house on Cider Mill Lane, fire officials said. Firefighters determined the blaze was in the second floor bathroom. After ensuring that all occupants and pets were out of the house, they worked to extinguish the fire, officials said.

The blaze extended into the attic through an exhaust fan but did not cause significant damage to the roof or the house, fire officials said. 

The cause of the fire was still under investigation but was believed to be an accident, officials said. One resident reported that a lit candle had been left unattended in the bathroom, and when they returned they saw the fire and the smoke alarm was sounding. 

"The smoke detector located outside of the bathroom operated properly just as the occupant noticed the fire and assisted in alerting others in the house of the fire giving them time to safely escape," Assistant Chief Scott Bisson said.

Another resident attempted to use a fire extinguisher to put it out as they tried to leave and rescue their dog.

None of the occupants reported injuries and refused medical care on the scene despite being exposed to the smoke while inside the house.

“According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are over 15,000 fires caused by candles in homes each year and 55 pecent of them are caused by candles being too close to other combustible materials," Bisson said. 

The scene was completely cleared by the department at 7:45 p.m.

  • 1
    Comments

Comments (1)

Most accidental candle fires like this can be prevented!

Kevin's Kandles provide an innovative concept in safer candles for illumination. These candles are Much Safer than traditional candles, Convenient, Inexpensive and Environmentally Friendly.
If a Kevin's Kandle is left unattended - it will go out; if it is tipped over - it will go out!
Ideal for Emergency and Disaster Preparedness. Less than 20₵ per 10 hour candle.
Help reduce the risk of accidental candle fires in our communities by visiting
www.asafercandle.com
DEMO VIDEO:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQxHnofsku0