FAIRFIELD COUNTY, Conn. -- The holidays are a time when "porch pirates," crooks that steal packages, tend to surface, according to the Connecticut State Police.
Residents who may be expecting shipments are reminded not to fall victim to criminals "shopping" on their front porch, police said in a Facebook posting.
- Track the package. This will give you an indication of when it will arrive so you can plan accordingly.
- Require a signature upon delivery, so the package is not left out in plain view.
- Ask someone to receive the package for you if you will not be home.
- Pick up the package at the shipping/receiving facility such as FedEx or UPS stores.
- Instruct the company to leave the package around the rear of your residence or underneath a porch.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.