FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A couch fire that sent one to the hospital could have been much worse for a Fairfield family, the fire department said.
When the Fairfield Fire Department responded to a call at 4:45 a.m. on School Street firefighters saw smoke coming from the second floor of the single family house. Firefighters went into the house and were able to pull a couch outside and extinguish the flames.
According to Assistant Fire Chief Chris Tracey, the fire started due to a lit cigarette in between the cushions of the couch.
"It was a crisis averted, it was probably only minutes way from being a fully involved room," Tracey said.
The fire injured one person, a 19-year-old man who was treated at Bridgeport Hospital for burns on his hands and face from exposure.
It took the department an hour to extinguish the flames and leave the scene.