FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A propane leak on Pemburn Street brought four of Fairfield's fire engines, a ladder truck and two police cars to a house shortly after 9 a.m. Tuesday, officials said.
An above-ground valve had been damaged and propane was leaking from a 500-gallon in-ground tank, first responders said.
When they arrived, fire personnel established protective hose lines and were able to diminish the leak with patch materials while waiting for the Fairfield Fire Department Hazardous Materials Trailer. After it arrived, firefighters set up a propane flare kit in order to burn off the contents of the tank if the repairman from the Gaunt tank company was unable to make the necessary fixes, Assistant Fire Chief Scott Bisson said.
“We take these types of situations seriously, especially in light of recent incidents,” said Bisson, who remained on the scene Tuesday afternoon. “Preparing for the worst while working for the best possible outcome is what we’re all about.”
Initial efforts to repair the damaged valve were not successful, but the leak was temporarily stopped before additional Gault resources were available to remove the remaining propane. After the gas was removed, the Fire Department flared off the remaining vapors from the tank before it was removed and repaired.
Fire personnel will remain on the scene through the afternoon until the hazard has been mitigated, added Bisson.
Residents from nearby homes were advised to leave for their own convenience due to the length of street that was blocked by fire apparatus. Evacuations were not necessary as ongoing metering found no explosive gases outside the area of the leak.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.