Fairfield Fire Department Urges Safety This Labor Day

  • Comment
Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - With the end of summer and Labor Day fast approaching, the Fairfield Fire Department asks that residents play it safe when it comes to things such as fireworks and Kongming lanterns.

Novelty items such as party poppers, snakes, smoke devices, and anything that emits a flame are not legal to use in private in Connecticut, and neither are sky or Kongming lanterns, according to the Office of State Fire Marshal.

“A number of house fires and grass fires have been attributed to the use of fireworks,” said the General Information Notice sent out in February 2013 by State Fire Marshal Robert J. Ross.

The report added that “if a fire or explosion caused by fireworks causes injuries or damage, or poses the risk of either, the person responsible could be charged with a felony criminal offense.”

A fatal fire in Southington late in June is being linked to the illegal use of fireworks, according to state and local fire investigators.

“Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors, well away from the home, deck railings, eaves and trees. Grills should be kept clean by removing grease or fat buildup, and in the case of propane, checked for leaks using a soapy water solution prior to use," Fairfield Fire Marshal Bill Kessler said.

"Children and pets should be kept away from the grilling area, and in the case of charcoal, away from charcoal starter fluid and matches or starters. Grills should never be left unattended, and after grilling the coals should be left to cool completely before disposal in a metal container.”

Any questions regarding safety and fire hazards may be directed to Fairfield Fire Chief Richard Felner or the Office of the Fairfield Fire Marshal at 203-254-4720.

  • Comment

Comments