FAIRFIELD, Conn. - The Fairfield Fire Department was called to Sacred Heart University at 2:48 p.m. Wednesday after a report of minor spill of sulfuric and nitric acids in the main Administration building, officials said.
When the first unit arrived, firefighters were told that two students in a chemistry lab on the first floor "had been working in the lab with a small amount of nitric acid when a foaming reaction occurred," fire officials said.
Shortly afterward, the HazMat trailer and the Fairfield Fire Department HazMat Team arrived with emergency medical personnel and a representative from the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection.
As a precaution, the first and second floors of the wing were evacuated as the situation was remediated. As of 5 p.m., the chemicals were still being remediated. Assistant Chief Chris Tracey said the situation should be fully under control within an hour.
Tracey said the team was working to secure the chemicals and get then under a hood system to contain it.
Sacred Heart University said no injuries were reported in the incident.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.