Fairfield Firefighters Battle Garage Fire For Three Hours

  • Comment
Fairfield firefighters evaluate the situation at the house on Shady Hill Road on Tuesday night. Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department
Fairfield firefighters battled the garage fire on Shady Hill Road Tuesday night for three hours. Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Fairfield firefighters worked for three hours to extinguish a garage fire at a house on Shady Hill Road shortly after 7 p.m. Tuesday, officials said.

Firefighters responded after receiving two calls from the residents and neighbors who reported a "major fire next door," fire officials said. When they arrived, firefighters found the garage was fully engulfed in flames and that all occupants of the house were outside. 

Although the cause was still being investigated, the fire was fueled by several propane tanks that started to vent the flammable gas, fire officials said.

Engines 1, 2, 3 and 5 along with ladder trucks 1 and 2 responded to the house, using hoselines to knock down the main body of fire in the garage, officials said.

“It was a good, aggressive initial attack with a 2 ½ inch hoseline by Company 2 led by Lt. Eannotti that kept the fire from extending further into the house,” said Assistant. Fire Chief Chris Tracy. “Along with disciplined leadership by Lts. Corbo and McHugh on Engines 3 and 1 getting their lines up into the attic before it lit up working in coordination with roof ventilation from Lt. Greenhaw with Engine 4 and Ladder 1 and rapid interior overhaul by the Ladder 2 crew.

"The most important thing that kept the fire from doing more damage, though, was quick thinking by the homeowner in getting everyone out of the house and calling 911 to report the fire. Their good decision to evacuate immediately made it possible for us to contain the fire where we found it.”

One firefighter was sent to Bridgeport Hospital for an ankle injury and later released.

A United Illuminating representative was called to secure the power at the meter, and both the Westport and Bridgeport Fire Departments were asked to provide mutual aid resources to cover Fairfield Fire Stations 1 and 2.

The fire marshal cleared the scene at 10:09 p.m., turning the scene over to the homeowner and their restoration company.

  • Comment


In Other News


Man’s Suicide In Hazmat Incident Tops Fairfield News This Week


Business School At Fairfield's Sacred Heart University Among Nation's Best