FAIRFIELD, Conn. - Fairfield firefighters were able to safely burn off propane leaking from a 100-pound tank in a house under construction on High Street, fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived at the home at 11 a.m. Friday and could hear the sound of leaking gas coming from inside the structure, Assistant Chief Scott Bisson said.
After verifying that everyone was out of the house, the construction site was shut down and the street was closed, Bisson said. Firefighters were able to slow the leak, preventing the need to further evacuate the area, he said.
"Using the propane flare tower, our Hazmat technicians were able to quickly set up and burn off the flammable gas before the propane company even arrived on scene," Bisson said. "This higher level of service provided by the Fairfield Fire Department Hazmat team minimized the risk to area residents from the leaking tank, reduced the need to evacuate the surrounding buildings including a school and allowed the streets to be reopened in approximately one hour."
It took about 15 minutes to burn off the liquid propane still in the tank by using the flare tower. The Fire Department left the scene shortly before 12:30 p.m.
The Fairfield Fire Marshal’s Office was reviewing the incident to ensure that all local regulations were followed by the propane company and contractor.
- 1 Fairfield Woman Hit By Bike In Central Park Is Reportedly Brain Dead
- 2 Fairfield Customers Could Be Affected By Home Depot Credit Card Breach
- 3 Western Connecticut Reopens Evacuated Buildings On Midtown Danbury Campus
- 4 Former Connecticut Gov. John Rowland Found Guilty Of Conspiracy
- 5 Ranking Of Fairfield Warde High Among Best Schools Tops Week’s News