Fairfield Firefighters Evacuate Home Due To Gas Leak

  • Comment
Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood, Lt. Lee Corbo, an SCG field representative and Fairfield Firefighters Andy Darrow and Brian Madia on scene at a gas leak on Garden Court on Monday.
Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood, Lt. Lee Corbo, an SCG field representative and Fairfield Firefighters Andy Darrow and Brian Madia on scene at a gas leak on Garden Court on Monday. Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Fairfield Fire Department
Fairfield Fire Department Engine 2, Car 3 and Engine 5 on scene at Garden Court.
Fairfield Fire Department Engine 2, Car 3 and Engine 5 on scene at Garden Court. Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Fairfield Fire Department
Fairfield Fire Department units operating at Garden Court.
Fairfield Fire Department units operating at Garden Court. Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Fairfield Fire Department
Firefighters Tyler Prescott and Jeff Pinckney monitoring the broken gas line at the Garden Court home.
Firefighters Tyler Prescott and Jeff Pinckney monitoring the broken gas line at the Garden Court home. Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Fairfield Fire Department
Fairfield Fire Department Ladder 2 and Engine 3 on scene at Garden Court Monday afternoon.
Fairfield Fire Department Ladder 2 and Engine 3 on scene at Garden Court Monday afternoon. Photo Credit: Courtesy of the Fairfield Fire Department

FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- The Fairfield Fire Department evacuated a home on Garden Court on Monday after a gas leak was detected.

Fire Companies 2, 3, and 5 responded to the home on Garden Court at 12:49 p.m. Monday after receiving a report of a gas leak.

Several minutes later Engine 3 Lt. Lee Corbo arrived and took command, and reported a natural gas line break on the street side of the meter in front of an occupied two-story wood home, according to the Fire Department. Corbo contacted Southern Connecticut Gas to assist in shutting off the leak.

Fire personnel evacuated the home, set up a protective hose stream in front of the house, established a water supply line from the hydrant and monitored the gas level in the building. Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood arrived and assumed command.

Firefighters assisted the gas company in accessing the street shutoff before turning the scene over to SCG to complete the repairs.

"This was a good example of why residents need to inspect their utilities on a regular basis," Corbo said. "The lines leading into the house service showed signs of rust, indicating the possibility that they may have become compromised. It's also critical that people check their smoke, carbon monoxide and gas detectors if they have them on a regular basis and change the batteries when they change their clocks."

Fire Chief Richard Felner and Fire Department Safety Officer Christopher Tracy also responded to the scene, and fire personnel left the scene at 2:21 p.m.

  • Comment

Comments