FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- The Fairfield Fire Department evacuated a home on Garden Court on Monday after a gas leak was detected.
Fire Companies 2, 3, and 5 responded to the home on Garden Court at 12:49 p.m. Monday after receiving a report of a gas leak.
Several minutes later Engine 3 Lt. Lee Corbo arrived and took command, and reported a natural gas line break on the street side of the meter in front of an occupied two-story wood home, according to the Fire Department. Corbo contacted Southern Connecticut Gas to assist in shutting off the leak.
Fire personnel evacuated the home, set up a protective hose stream in front of the house, established a water supply line from the hydrant and monitored the gas level in the building. Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood arrived and assumed command.
Firefighters assisted the gas company in accessing the street shutoff before turning the scene over to SCG to complete the repairs.
"This was a good example of why residents need to inspect their utilities on a regular basis," Corbo said. "The lines leading into the house service showed signs of rust, indicating the possibility that they may have become compromised. It's also critical that people check their smoke, carbon monoxide and gas detectors if they have them on a regular basis and change the batteries when they change their clocks."
Fire Chief Richard Felner and Fire Department Safety Officer Christopher Tracy also responded to the scene, and fire personnel left the scene at 2:21 p.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.