FAIRFIELD, Conn. - During Thursday morning's heavy rain, the Fairfield Fire Department was called to a house on Surrey Lane that was struck by lightning.
The tree then fell onto the home's garage, but no injuries were reported.
“The family was very fortunate that they were not in the area of structural collapse from the tree,” said Fairfield Fire Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood, who was the incident commander. “They made the critical decision to activate the 911 system immediately, which got us here in a matter of minutes.”
When the the fire department arrived on the scene shortly before 11:30 a.m., firefighters quickly determined that there was no fire in the structure, Sherwood said. Firefighters began to secure the utilities and notified Fairfield Building Official Tom Conley.
Conley arrived shortly after noon and stayed on the scene with Fairfield fire officials to investigate the damage to the home.
- 1 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 2 Keep An Eye On Your Purse; Fairfield Police Show How Easy It Is To Steal
- 3 3 Men Plead Guilty To Kidnapping, Jewelry Store Robbery In Fairfield
- 4 Rollover Accident Cleared From Merritt Parkway Near Fairfield
- 5 One Man Dead After Altercation On Route 25/8 Ramp In Bridgeport