FAIRFIELD, Conn. — Quick action by Fairfield firefighters kept a fire that was concealed in an exterior wall of a local home from spreading Thursday afternoon, fire officials said.
Firefighters arrived at the single-family home on Stratfield Road within four minutes of being notified, according to a Facebook post from the Fairfield Fire Department.
Smoke could be seen coming from the home's exterior as smoke built up inside the home, the Facebook post said. Firefighters found the concealed fire in an exterior wall next to a fireplace.
A total of 20 firefighters responded under the command of Lt. Robert Smith. They exposed the hidden fire and extinguished it in less than 11 minutes, the Facebook post said.
The ladder company used power saws and hand tools to access the burning area. The toxic smoke was blown from the home by the rescue company with powerful fans.
No injuries were reported. The sole occupant of the home was able to escape and notify Fairfield's Emergency Communication Center.
The home, which was built in 1922 and is worth $400,000, includes 3,351 square feet of space, the Facebook post said.
There were functioning smoke detectors in the home at the time of the fire — but they lacked operating batteries, fire officials said.
The monetary loss from this fire is estimated at $5,000, fire officials said.
Fairfield police were on the scene to assist by diverting traffic on Stratfield Road during the firefighting operations.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.