FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- The Fairfield Fire Department responded to a report of a gas leak on Monday afternoon, Aug. 18, at 5 Garden Court.
Companies 2, 3, and 5 responded to the call. Engine 3 Lt. Lee Corbo took command and reported a natural gas line break on the street side of the meter in front of an occupied two-story, wood-framed home and asked Southern Connecticut Gas to assist in shutting off the gas.
Fire personnel evacuated the residence, set up a protective hose stream in front of the house, established a water supply line from the hydrant, and began to monitor the building.
Fairfield personnel assisted Southern Connecticut Gas in accessing the street shutoff before turning the scene over to SCG representatives to complete repairs.
“This was a good example of why residents need to inspect their utilities on a regular basis,” Corbo said. “The lines leading into the house service showed signs of rust, indicating the possibility that they may have become compromised. It’s also critical that people check their smoke, carbon monoxide and gas detectors if they have them on a regular basis and change the batteries when they change their clocks.”
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.