FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A Fairfield gas station employee was charged with allowing a customer to put more than $400 worth of gasoline into unsafe containers Monday, police say.
A bystander reported to police a man was filling three large barrels with gasoline at the Shell station on the Post Road at about 10:15 p.m. Monday. The man told police he had droven from the Bronx, N.Y. to get gas for his business, and the station attendant allowed him to use the uncapped containers.
Connecticut law requires stations to sell gasoline only in approved, spill-proof containers.
Fairfield police charged the attendant, Mohd Awandeh, 36, with a misdemeanor violation of regulations for flammable and combustible liquids. He was released on a promise to appear in court, and assigned a hearing date of Nov 19. Fairfield Fire Department crews inspected the area and placed the gasoline back in the station’s underground tanks.
- 1 Two Teenage Girls Rescued From Water After Tubing Accident Off Fairfield
- 2 Man Drowns In Creek On Bridgeport/Fairfield Border After Bar Fight
- 3 Girls Hurt In Fairfield Tubing Accident Moved To Yale-New Haven Hospital
- 4 Greenwich Girl, 17, Issued Tickets In Boating Death Of Friend Last Summer
- 5 Westport Mom Charged With Leaving Baby In Car At Whole Foods