FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A Fairfield gas station employee was charged with allowing a customer to put more than $400 worth of gasoline into unsafe containers Monday, police say.
A bystander reported to police a man was filling three large barrels with gasoline at the Shell station on the Post Road at about 10:15 p.m. Monday. The man told police he had droven from the Bronx, N.Y. to get gas for his business, and the station attendant allowed him to use the uncapped containers.
Connecticut law requires stations to sell gasoline only in approved, spill-proof containers.
Fairfield police charged the attendant, Mohd Awandeh, 36, with a misdemeanor violation of regulations for flammable and combustible liquids. He was released on a promise to appear in court, and assigned a hearing date of Nov 19. Fairfield Fire Department crews inspected the area and placed the gasoline back in the station’s underground tanks.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.