FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A man stole $2,800 from an employee at Stop & Shop in Fairfield by using the employee's debit card to purchase popcorn while withdrawing a large amount of cash Saturday, police report.
The employee contacted police after receiving a text alerting him that money had been withdrawn from the account several times in a short period of time.
Officers determined there had been multiple withdrawals of $200.50 totaling $2,800, police said.
The suspect, who was seen in surveillance video wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, stole the money by purchasing a 50-cent bag of popcorn and then withdrawing the maximum cash per transaction while using the employee's debit card, police said.
The police department is investigating.
- 1 Boy Reports Suspicious Incident With Car In Fairfield Parking Lot
- 2 Police: No Suspects In Bomb Threat Made At Seagrape, Inn At Fairfield Beach
- 3 Merritt Reopens In Greenwich After Truck Slams Into Bridge, Catches Fire
- 4 Fairfield's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 5 Fairfield Man Arrested After Strangling Girlfriend While She Was Driving