FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A man stole $2,800 from an employee at Stop & Shop in Fairfield by using the employee's debit card to purchase popcorn while withdrawing a large amount of cash Saturday, police report.
The employee contacted police after receiving a text alerting him that money had been withdrawn from the account several times in a short period of time.
Officers determined there had been multiple withdrawals of $200.50 totaling $2,800, police said.
The suspect, who was seen in surveillance video wearing a red hooded sweatshirt, stole the money by purchasing a 50-cent bag of popcorn and then withdrawing the maximum cash per transaction while using the employee's debit card, police said.
The police department is investigating.
- 1 Fairfield Business Falls Victim To UI Scam; Police Expecting Similar Crimes
- 2 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 3 Christmas Week Storm May Impact Travel In Fairfield
- 4 Keep An Eye On Your Purse; Fairfield Police Show How Easy It Is To Steal
- 5 3 Men Plead Guilty To Kidnapping, Jewelry Store Robbery In Fairfield