Contact Us
Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport
Return to your home site


Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport

Nearby Towns

Breaking News: ID Revealed For Victim In Fatal Bridgeport Shooting
police & fire

Family Displaced After Garage Fire Spreads To House In Fairfield

House fire at 145 Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department
House fire at 145 Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department
House fire at 145 Mountain Laurel Road in Fairfield Photo Credit: Fairfield Fire Department

FAIRFIELD, Conn. — A family of four was displaced and two firefighters were injured after a fast-moving blaze spread from a garage to a house in Fairfield early Sunday evening, fire official said.

At 5:53 p.m. Sunday, Four engines, a ladder truck, a rescue and a shift commander were dispatched after the Fairfield Emergency 911 Center received a report of a house fire at 145 Mountain Laurel Road, said Assistant Fire Chief Scott R. Bisson. When Ladder 2 arrived two minutes after the call, firefighters found a three-car attached garage fully involved in fire with two cars in the driveway also burning, Bisson said.

Ladder 2 firefighters immediately initiated a search of the home and located and removed a pet rabbit, he said.

“The family was very lucky that no one was injured during this fast-moving fire, which occurred while the house was occupied,” Bisson said.

Engine 2 arrived and attacked the fire with a large caliper hose line to reduce the intensity, Bisson said.

Due to the fire's head-start and the building construction features, the blaze spread rapidly from the garage to the attic of the 8,900-square-foot attached home, he said.

Crews attacked from both inside and outside of the structure until the fire was declared under control about an hour later, Bisson said.

Two firefighters sustained minor injuries and were transported to the hospital by ambulance . One firefighter received minor burns while operating a hose line inside the building and was released to return to work. The other firefighter injured his leg while rescuing a family pet and required continuing medical treatment.

Additional crews were called to the scene from the Bridgeport Fire Department as well as the Southport Volunteer Fire Department for lighting and support.

Units from the Bridgeport, Westport and Easton Fire Departments provided fire station coverage and responded to multiple alarms in Fairfield during the blaze.

The Fairfield Fire Marshal was investigating the cause of the blaze. Fairfield Police provided traffic control due to hose lines in the roadway.

A fire watch was implemented due to smoldering materials at the scene.

The last fire unit cleared the scene at midnight.

The house was not habitable after the fire, and the residents were relocated to a neighbor’s home pending repairs.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Fairfield Daily Voice!

Serves Fairfield & Southport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.