FAIRFIELD, Conn. — A trash fire broke out in the empty Central Utilities Facility building on the Fairfield University campus on Sunday morning, drawing 10 fire units from town to tackle the smoky blaze.
At 8:48 a.m., the Fairfield Fire Department received a report of an automatic fire alarm from the CUF building, said Assistant Chief Roger Caisse.
On-duty Fairfield University maintenance personnel began to fight the fire in the building, which is not normally occupied by staff or students, Caisse said.
When fire units arrived scene, they found smoke coming from the roof in addition to a fire inside the structure, Caisse said.
Firefighters put out attack lines, and the ladder truck was set up for roof access, he said.
Firefighters tore away burning roofing materials from around the 3-foot diameter steel chimney, Caisse said.
"Early notification of this alarm to the Fairfield Fire Department prevented more serious damage from occurring to the building," Caisse said.
No workers or firefighters were injured fire, he said.
With graduation last week, no students were impacted, Caisse said. The university's power grid was transferred to United Illuminated.
The Fairfield Fire Marshal's office is reviewing recordings from video cameras as part of its investigation. The cause does not appear to be arson, Caisse said.
Mutual aide coverage was provided by the Bridgeport and Westport Fire Departments. The last fire unit cleared the scene at 11:18 a.m.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.