FAIRFIELD, Conn. — A fire broke out in the laundry room of a Fairfield home on Saturday, but quick action by the homeowner kept it from spreading, according to the Fairfield Fire Department.
The homeowner closed interior doors, preventing the smoke and fire from extending into the $650,000 single-family home on Lampwick Lane, according to a Facebook post from the fire department.
Upon arrival, firefighters were met with heavy smoke. Lt. Lauri Jepsen, the first arriving fire officer, advanced a 1¾-inch hand line into the home to extinguish the fire.
The first firefighting crew to arrive — Engine Five stationed on Congress Street — was on scene within nine minutes of notification, the Facebook post said.
A total of 20 firefighters responded under the command of Assistant Fire Chief Erik Kalapir.
The fire was placed under control in less than 11 minutes after the first engine company arrived, the Facebook post said.
The fire damage was estimated at $10,000, the post said.
The Rescue and Ladder companies ventilated the home with powerful fans to remove the smoke and removed water in the basement.
All family members and pets evacuated safely from the home. No injuries were reported.
The 3,430-square-foot home was built in 1988.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.