FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Fairfield firefighters doused a grill fire at a Fairfield home Wednesday night, before relighting the flames as a controlled burn to eliminate a gas leak.
The fire was reported at a Northwood Road home just before 6 p.m. Wednesday. A propane-burning grill had become engulfed in flames, which firefighters were able to extinguish.
“Quick thinking by the son alerting his mother of the fire with quick notification of 911 and a speedy response by emergency crews prevented this from becoming a real tragedy,” Assistant Chief Erik Kalapir said in a press release.
After the fire was put out, firefighters at the scene noticed that propane gas was leaking from a 20-pound tank. Crews were unable to stop the leak, so firefighters called in a hazardous materials team to conduct a controlled burn.
Using a device called a “flare tower,” firefighters were able to safely burn off the rest of the gas in the tank. No injuries were reported in the incident.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.