FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A Hamden man was charged in the theft of copper from a Fairfield Beach Road home Tuesday, police say.
A construction worker in the area told police that he saw a man go onto the Fairfield Beach Road property and load a section of copper pipe and wiring into a pickup truck before driving away, according to the police report. The house was currently undergoing repairs after Hurricane Sandy, police say.
Officers stopped a truck near the intersection of Reef Road and Oldfield Road that fit the description, with copper in the truck bed, police say.
Eric Gaul, 32, of Hamden, was a passenger in the truck, and was identified by the witness as the suspect, according to the arrest report.
He was charged with sixth-degree larceny and criminal trespassing, both misdemeanors. He was released on a promise to appear in court, and assigned a hearing date of Jan. 7.
- 1 Police: Chief MacNamara, Baby OK After Three-Car Crash In Fairfield
- 2 Nor'easter To Impact Fairfield On Wednesday
- 3 Hwang, Fawcett Clash On Same-Sex Marriage At Fairfield Debate
- 4 Power Outages Restored In Fairfield After Storm
- 5 NYC Doctor Is First Person In The Tristate Area To Test Positive For Ebola