FAIRFIELD, Conn. – A “Good Samaritan” helped save a Fairfield family from a house fire Sunday morning, according to official reports.
The unidentified person notified the Fairfield Fire Department of a house fire near the intersection of Colony and Fairview streets at about 7 a.m. Sunday. Neighbors also alerted the residents, who were asleep at the time, officials said. The family and their pets made it safely outside, and no injuries were reported.
“This family was very fortunate that their neighbor saw the fire and alerted them when they did,” said Asst. Chief Scott Bisson. “This notification combined with the rapid call to 911 allowed the sleeping family to escape this fire while it was still small and outside of the structure.”
Firefighters managed to put out the fire before it spread to the inside of the home, Bisson said. The fire caused an estimated $8,000 in damage to the exterior of the house and to a car in the driveway. The family was able to return after the incident.
Investigators traced the fire to a plastic garbage can. Officials believe the fire started because of “improper disposal of smoking materials,” and it was ruled an accident, Bisson said.
- 1 Police Charge Fairfield Man With Interfering With Officer, DUI After Crash
- 2 Fairfield Business Falls Victim To UI Scam; Police Expecting Similar Crimes
- 3 Lower Fairfield County Ranked As Most Unequal Place In Nation
- 4 Fairfield Couple Opens Up New Cheese Shop In Greenwich
- 5 3 Men Plead Guilty To Kidnapping, Jewelry Store Robbery In Fairfield