A Trumbull home was heavily damaged Tuesday during a blaze that firefighters at first thought a resident was trapped inside.
The blaze was reported to the Trumbull Center Fire Department around 3:45 p.m. Tuesday at 14 Chatham Drive for a possible structure fire, said officials with the Trumbull Volunteer Fire Company No. 1.
While en route, responding units, including Long Hill and Nichols fire companies, were advised that an occupant may be trapped inside. First arriving units were met with heavy fire venting through first-floor windows spreading to the second floor., the department said.
Crews immediately placed a 2.5-inch hose line into service and established a water supply, while also determining the structure was unoccupied.
Command requested additional resources from Stepney's Volunteer Fire Company and Shelton Fire Companies. Within 20 minutes, the fire was knocked down and crews began an extensive overhaul process, assuring all hot spots were extinguished, the department added.
All units were back in quarters by 7 p.m. An investigation of the fire is being conducted by the Trumbull Fire Marshal's Office.
The department was assisted by Nichols, Long Hill, Stepney, and Shelton fire companies as well as Trumbull PD, EMS, and utility companies.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.