BRIDGEPORT, Conn. — A former Sacred Heart University student charged with making up a story that she was raped by two football players will have more time to consider a plea bargain that would see her serve two years in prison, according to the Connecticut Post.
Nikki Yovino, 19, of South Setauket, N.Y. had been set to make a decision Monday on whether she would take the plea deal or face a trial, but has been granted an additional three weeks to decide, the Connecticut Post reported. The judge who had been set to hear Yovino's decision has been transferred to a murder case, and she will now face a different judge, according to the Connecticut Post.
On Oct. 15, Bridgeport Police responded to St. Vincent's Medical Center, where Yovino told police that she had been sexually assaulted by two males in a bathroom at a house party in Bridgeport.
She told police that one of her assailants was a fellow student and football player at SHU, while the other was a former SHU student.
But during their investigation police said they discovered evidence that contradicted Yovino's statements. When Yovino was confronted with this information, police said she admitted to making up the accusations and said she had had consensual sex with both males.
A warrant was issued for Yovino's arrest and she turned herself in to police in February. She was charged with filing a false report and tampering with evidence. She admitted making up the story to gain sympathy from a prospective boyfriend, police said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.