Fairfield Daily Voice

Follow Like

Teen Charged With Attempting To Bribe Fairfield Cop To Let Him Go

Ethan Eckhoff, 19, of Chelmsford, Mass., was held on $5,000 bond by Fairfield police and issued a court date of June 30.
Ethan Eckhoff, 19, of Chelmsford, Mass., was held on $5,000 bond by Fairfield police and issued a court date of June 30. Photo Credit: Fairfield Police Department

FAIRFIELD, Conn. - A teenager spotted walking early Saturday in the area of Round Hill and Mill Plain roads who asked police for a ride ended up confessing to breaking into cars, Fairfield police said.

Fairfield police said they were called to the area at about 12:40 a.m. Saturday after receiving reports of a suspicious man walking around.

When officers arrived, they saw a man later identified as Ethan Eckhoff, 19, of Chelmsford, Mass., walking off a property on Round Hill Road, police said.

As officers approached, he threw several items to the ground, including Tums, sunscreen, Halls and Aleve, police said. He also asked officers for a ride back to the Fairfield University campus, where he said he was staying while visiting a friend, police said.

During the conversation, an officer told the man to keep his hands out of his pockets and then noticed several orange prescription bottles in Eckhoff's pocket, police said.

A search of Eckhoff by officers turned up three pairs of black wireless headphones around his neck, sunglasses, several prescription medications, including Cialis, and a silver GPS, police said.

Eckhoff began to cry and admitted he had broken into the cars, blaming it on being drunk, police said.

When officers attempted to take him into custody, he became uncooperative and offered them $500 several times if they would let him go and take him back to the dorms at Fairfield University, police said.

The friends confirmed that Eckhoff was staying with them and said they thought he had gotten lost while getting cigarettes, police said. They did not pick him up, police said.

Fairfield University security told police that Eckhoff was no longer welcome on the campus.

Police charged Eckhoff with four counts of third-degree burglary, three counts of sixth-degree larceny, criminal attempt at sixth-degree larceny and bribery.

He was held on $5,000 bond and issued a court date of June 30.