FAIRFIELD, Conn. -- A 19-year-old Fairfield University student charged with the sexual assault of a fellow student pleaded not guilty in court Tuesday, according to CTPost.com.
Joshua Delvecchio of Madison was charged with first-degree sexual assault, third-degree assault and first-degree unlawful restraint in an incident in October that sent an 18-year-old woman to the hospital.
Police have texts from Delvecchio allegedly bragging about the incident, but he claims the sex was consensual, the CTPost.com reported.
He turned himself in to Fairfield police last month after learning there was a warrant for his arrest, police said.
The victim told officers she had been sexually assaulted on the Fairfield University campus by someone she didn't know, police said.
During the two-month investigation, officers interviewed witnesses and collected evidence, including Delvecchio's electronic communications with other students and physical evidence from campus, police said.
When questioned, Devlecchio was deceptive, and forensic evidence refuted his statements, Fairfield police said.
Per the university's protocol, students at Fairfield University were advised that a sexual assault had occurred on campus and were told to take precautions.
Devecchio is free on $50,000 bond.
- 1 Fairfield Residents Warned To Prepare For Approaching Blizzard
- 2 Major Nor'easter Heads Toward Fairfield, Blizzard Watch Issued
- 3 Teen Reported Missing A Month Ago In Norwalk Found Safe In Fairfield
- 4 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Fairfield Sees 6-7 Inches Of Snow
- 5 18-24 Inches Of Snow Now Possible In Fairfield; Blizzard Warning Issued