Contact Us
Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport
Return to your home site


Fairfield Daily Voice serves Fairfield & Southport

Nearby Towns

police & fire

Two Men Face Drunken-Driving Charges In Fairfield

Photo Credit: Alissa Smith, file photo

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Two men were charged with driving under the influence Sunday by Fairfield police, one in the early morning and one later that night.

At 2:30 a.m. Sunday, an officer stopped Brendan Sgaglione, 22, of Fairfield, on Kings Highway Cutoff for driving 55 mph in a 35 mph zone, police said.

Sgaglione was driving at a high rate of speed on icy and slick roads, police said. When the officer pulled up behind Sgaglione, he appeared to accelerate, police said. When the car stopped, the officer smelled a strong odor of alcohol and reported that Sgaglione had glassy eyes, police said.

Sgaglione admitted to drinking and failed field sobriety tests, police said. A search of the car turned up a six pack of beer with four empty bottles and burnt ends of marijuana cigarettes, police said. A 2-ounce bottle of whiskey was found in his pants pocket, police said.

After he was taken into custody, Sgaglione refused to answer any questions and was charged with driving under the influence and speeding. He was released on $500 cash bond to a family member and given a court date of Feb. 4.

At 5:20 p.m., officers found a man passed out in a pickup truck at Jennings Road and Deer Park Road after a passing driver called police.

When the officer tapped on the window of the pickup truck, which was running and had the lights on, the driver did not wake up, police said. The officer opened the truck door and shook the driver, police said.

There was a strong smell of alcohol, the officer said, and the driver had glassy and bloodshot eyes. The driver identified himself as Jorge Cabrera, 38, of Bridgeport, police said. When asked for license and registration, he handed the officer the entire contents of the glove compartment, police said.

Cabrera admitted to drinking and said he thought he was in Bridgeport and was unable to recall how he got to Fairfield, police said.

A Bridgeport police officer was called to translate for Fairfield officers after Cabrera was taken to headquarters. He consented to a breath test and was found to be over the legal limit, police said.

He was charged with driving under the influence and driving without a license and released on $50 bond with a court date of Feb. 3.

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Fairfield Daily Voice!

Serves Fairfield & Southport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.