Fairfield Needs Volunteers For Government Boards

  • Comment
Fairfield's Old Town Hall hosts many meetings of the town's volunteer boards and commissions. Photo Credit: Greg Canuel (File)

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Fairfield’s government currently is looking for volunteers to join its ranks with seven boards and commissions having a total of 13 vacancies to fill.

The positions are open to any registered voter in Fairfield, except in some cases in which there are party restrictions laid out in the Town Charter. The boards and commissions currently needing members are:

The Affordable Housing Committee needs three members, none of whom can be registered Democrats. Its members serve four-year terms and are expected to be available for one meeting at 7 p.m, the third Wednesday of each month. The committee is responsible for studying Fairfield’s affordable housing needs and tracking its availability.

The Board of Assessment Appeals needs two alternate members, both Democrats. Both vacant seats will be up for re-election in November. Candidates will need to attend about 15 appeals hearings in March, one meeting in September and one in December. The board hears appeals from property owners on their tax assessments and decides whether to grant a value adjustment or not.

The Historic District Commission needs two alternate members to serve five-year terms. The commission meets at 4:30 p.m. the second Thursday of the month. The commission hears applications for renovations in the town’s three historic districts and grants permits for changes to visible portions of historic properties.

The Housing Authority has one vacancy that cannot be filled by a Democrat. The candidate would serve a five-year term ending  November 2017 and should be available to meet at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month. The Housing Authority works with the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide affordable housing for seniors and low-income residents.

The Land Acquisition Commission needs two alternate members to serve four-year terms. It meets at 7:30 p.m. the first Monday of every month. The commission finds parcels of land for the town government to purchase for recreation uses.

The Shellfish Commission needs one member to serve through November 2014. Its meetings are at 7:30 p.m, the second Wednesday of the month. The commission monitors Fairfield’s shoreline fishing along with the Conservation Department.

The Water Pollution Control Authority needs two members for four-year terms. It meets at 7:30 p.m. the fourth Wednesday of each month. The board oversees Fairfield’s wastewater treatment plant, compost facility and sewer lines.

Anyone interested in volunteering for these positions should contact Kathleen Griffin in the First Selectman’s office at kgriffin@town.fairfield.ct.us or 203-256-3030.

  • Comment


In Other News


Bryna Brennan, 73, Former Fairfield Resident